Dlink is one of my favorite hardware provider but this time I did the mistake of trying other hardware like TP-Link. After so much drilling I have found that it’s not possible to use MTNL Dongle with it. MTNL 3g Jadoo dongle provided by Teracom is a weird peace of hardware. I have found that there is hardly any 3g router that supports it. So I have decided to drop this dongle and planed to use MTNL sim into a different dongle. Which can support a 3g router so that I can use MTNL 3G with all my devices as a wifi in my home.
I Tried TP-Link But..
I tried TP-Link 3G router before trying D-Link because the shop-owner told me that it is a good brand and works with almost any dongle. I bought it and returned back to home. I was feeling little excited that finally I have solved the wifi problem (Wifi Problem?? – It’s a long story. Dump it for the time being). I began testing mtnl 3G jadoo dongle and anticipating that it should work without realizing that teracom is not listed into the supported dongle list.
After drilling for more than 10 hours and reading everything available on internet about this specific problem, I finally realized that this is not the right time to end the story. MTNL 3G jadoo dongle is not supported by TP-Link and not even by D-Link (need explanation? Keep Reading).
Time to Try D-Link 3G Router (DSL 2750U)
I had a word with the shop owner and because he made me sure that TP-Link would work he agreed to accept the fact that TP-Link will not work in this case. I don’t blame chiptek (name of the shop). Shop Owner helped me so much through out the process, he made numerous calls for me to resolve the issue (rarely seen in India). Stories apart, he aggreed to change it and offered me D-link (Costly than TP-Link). He told me that he had made calls to field expert and even on D-Link MTNL 3G Jadoo dongle won’t work. You have to buy the supported dongle with D-Link. I was keen to end the story so I bought D-Link Dongle too.
I came back and inserted the MTNL 3G sim into it and things have started working after some changes into the router (Defaults will not work).
Configure D-Link 3G router for Dongle (USB – Stick)
1) Insert MTNL 3G sim into D-Link Dongle. Make sure internet is active on the sim. It’s a common mistake when you try something new. All bits and pieces must be working.
2) Power up the router and insert the dongle into USB socket. You will see the anchor sign (usb sign) has started blinking. Not its time to configure the router.
3) Because it’s a new router so currently it’s open to access (NO WAP/WEP KEY – unsecure). Open your browser and type 192.168.1.1
4) ID: admin, PASS: admin
5) Once you are logged in go to ADVANCED on top click 3G Configuration on left and if action status is undial then click Undial
6) Once you click undial, after few seconds Edit button will become active and click it.
7) Now you can edit settings of your 3G dongle. I am publishing MTNL settings because I am using it. You can ask your service provider for these settings. If you are using AIrtel, Reliance, Vodafone, Idea or any other 3g provider, make a call to their call center and ask them these settings.
For MTNL Delhi these settings are:
Net-Type: TD-SCDMA or WCDMA (Whichever your service provider says, although I doubt that they know these terms. I am using TD-SCDMA, you can use that too and test).
APN: pps3g (mtnl provides lot others too. But for the time being use pps3g).
OnDemand: check the box
Go down and Click APPLY.
8) Once you click Apply, it will start modem will start dialing the network with these settings. Wait you few settings
Inform: Connecting, dial on demand, Auto Dialed
will turn into
Inform: CONNECTTED, dial on demand, Auto Dialed
Now it’s time to set wifi secutiry Key otherwise your open connection can be used by anyone in your neighborhood.
Click Advanced Wireless –> Security Settings
Go down and set Pre-Shared Key and click Apply.
Once you set this pre-shared key, you have to connect your computer again and this time it will ask the key.
That’s all. Hope this guide will help you to set and configure D-Link Router with 3g usb-stick and any service provider SIM card.